Kdrama Review: Man From the Stars (AKA Sam Dong is an Alien)


So I’ve already blogged about how Korean TV is taking over the world. Yet when I first moved to China, I wondered how popular Korean media would be. I mean, China is geographically close to South Korea, but who knows if the Chinese are into their music/TV shows? Turns out some of my teenage students listen to kpop groups like EXO and Super Junior – no surprises there. (Those boy bands release whole songs in Mandarin in addition to Korean.) What was a little shocking was when I overheard my Chinese coworkers (women in their thirties) gushing about the latest kdrama: “Man From the Stars.” (Also translated as “My Love From Another Star” or “You Who Came From the Stars.”)



Then my roomie discovered news articles about how Chinese leaders are quaking in their shoes over the immense popularity of the Korean show, because “Why can’t China make something this good?”

Then we found more articles about the addictive tendencies of Chinese viewers. For example, apparently there’s been a huge increase in the sale of fried chicken and beer in China. Because the main girl’s favorite meal in “Man From the Stars” is chicken and beer.



… TIC.

As a kdrama fan living in China, I simply had to watch this show. You know, so I could talk to my coworkers about it. And find out why chicken and beer is such a big deal. And because the lead guy is none other than Kim Soo Hyun – that is, Sam Dong from “Dream High.”

And who doesn’t love Sam Dong!

The basic premise of the drama is that 400 years ago, an alien came to Earth and was unable to go back. (Kdramas freaking love the Joseon Dynasty.) Fast forward to modern times, his face hasn’t aged a day, though his cynicism has. Oh, and he has super powers. (Naturally, he’s an alien.) Then he meets Lead Girl, the biggest actress in Korea, wealthy, ditzy, overflowing with personality. Opposites attract. I really liked how this drama had multiple plot lines: flashbacks to when Alien Guy first landed, the main romance, and a murder mystery on the side.

Do I recommend this drama? YES. It’s easily in my top five. The acting was amazing. Good writing, unpredictable plot. Hilarious (main actress Gianna Jun works that role! And the little brother character. And the bookstore owner character. And… well, lots of people are funny, ok?). Excellent costuming (I didn’t groan over outfits/haircuts nearly as much as I usually do… but maybe that’s because I’ve never watched a drama in the same year it aired until this one). AND, get this, “Man From the Stars” has a satisfying ending: classically bittersweet in kdrama style, yet it actually has closure.

If you haven’t seen “Man From the Stars” yet, go watch it right now and don’t read any farther! SPOILERS BELOW. You’ve been warned.

I’m feeling the post-drama blues. Can we just relive some of the best moments from “Man From the Stars”?

When Do Min Joon stopped Song Yi’s car from rolling over a cliff with his BARE HANDS.

When creepy, evil Jae Kyung Oppa was threatening Min Joon with all that “The only reason you’re alive is cause I’m allowing it” crap, and then he gets in the elevator with his sinister smirk. But when the elevator doors open 23 floors later, there’s Min Joon. “You can never kill me.” AHA! Best use of teleportation ever!!

The proposal. Best kdrama proposal I’ve ever seen. The beach, the stars, the campfire, the song (HIS SONG!!), the ring… So glad that’s how it happened, and not the tacky balloons-in-the-trunk-followed-by-restaurant-proposal thing.

When little brother Yoon Jae’s confrontational, man-to-man conversation with Min Joon about his sister was sidetracked by… chocolate milk.

Also when Yoon Jae asks Min Joon for a hug, Min Joon says no, and Yoon Jae goes for it anyway. Daw, bromance! Also, all of the ET references.

When wannabe boyfriend Hwi Kyung actually starts doing something useful, like outsmarting his older brother and solving mysteries… I mean, eavesdropping while pretending to be in a coma? Faking memory loss? He gets serious cool points for that.

When father figure Lawyer Jang and Song Yi’s mother get in a fight over their children in front of Min Joon. “Oh, sorry. I got carried away with the role.” Haha!

When Min Joon materializes long enough to for-real kiss Song Yi on the red carpet… in front of everyone… in the last episode… Gahhhhhh!

Okay, okay, I could keep going, but this post has to end eventually. I really loved “Man From the Stars.” I’m going to go read a bunch of memes now.

What was your favorite part?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flirting with Chinese Guys

Planning a Chinese/American Wedding

The Celebrity Effect: Being a White Foreigner in China

Relating with a Language Barrier?? [Ask a Cross-Cultural Couple]

Moving Home?? [Ask a Cross-Cultural Couple]

Adventures in Asia: China Travel Tips