moneymoneymoney


“We all have the same dream.”

“No, we all have the same job.”

I laughed. I was having coffee with some fellow foreigners and our Chinese friends, the Idealist and the Realist. Later that same evening, I asked, “What’s the most important thing to a Chinese person?”

“Making money.”

On a different coffee date with a different Chinese friend, I heard a similar statement: “Money controls my life.”

Making money is important to us Americans, too. The U.S. is pretty much the capital of materialism. But the way my Chinese friends say it, it’s different. And the more I hear their stories, the more I understand what they mean.

China has a collectivist culture, where the group is more important than the individual, and the family is the most important of all. Which is really beautiful to see. Each of my students have their two parents and four grandparents all looking out for them, investing in them, concerned about their wellbeing. There’s only one child, one grandchild, and that kid means the world. Parents will support and provide for their child not only till the kid turns 18, but until the kid is married. In turn, the child will support his/her parents when they are older. Generations take care of each other.

The importance of family isn’t just “I love my parents so I’m going to stick around,” but “I need my family.” It’s financially impossible for most people to move out. There’s no my-friends-and-I-are-gonna-get-an-apartment-together, as-long-as-I’m-working-I-can-afford-rent. Jobs pay too little, and even a closet-size apartment is too expensive. You live with your parents. Forever.

“Making money is the most important thing…”

I feel that Americans love money in it’s immediate pleasure – I can buy the latest clothes, electronics, etc, right now. My experience so far with Chinese is that the love of money is also in its long-term pleasure – I have responsibility to my family to provide financially and I want better housing, nicer things, etc, for us in the future. Americans my age worry about paying off their student loans and buying themselves a new pair of shoes. Chinese my age worry about having enough money to support a spouse, a kid, and their parents.

In this way, they Chinese seem noble to me. They’re worried about others, not only themselves. Responsibility to family, and not just the individual. Yet I’m starting to see the weight of that responsibility…

“Money controls my life.”

Parents work full time in a different city and their child grows up alone. Students pick majors that result in a job (not necessarily out of interest or passion). A long-term dating relationship ends because he’s from a poor family. Someone is interested in a different field, but can’t go back to school to pursue it.

High school is for studying. Get good grades, do well on the college entrance exam, get into a prestigious university.

College is for dating. Get a degree, too, even if it means studying something you don’t like for four years. If you don’t want to study, you can pay off the professor. Just be sure to have a significant other.

Post-college is for marrying. Being single is not okay. Parents will flip if you hit 28 and still aren’t married. The guy’s family is responsible for the wedding and the newlyweds’ housing (!!!). Having a boy just got really expensive.

After marriage, it’s time for your one kid. Mom and Dad are dying for a grandbaby. Your child will go to school all day, and then participate in extracurricular activities all night (and weekends). English class, dance class, piano class, tae kwon do class, calligraphy class… You only get one child, and he/she deserves the best. You will financially provide for this child until he/she gets married.

It all costs money. Financial security solves the stress.

My life seems so optimistic by comparison. With discipline and hard work, I can do anything. I went to an expensive university. I will eventually pay it off. I majored in something I love, and I travelled around the world to do it. I decide whether I get married and money isn’t a big factor in that decision. I pay my own bills and no one else’s. I want, I can, I do. Nothing is impossible.

“Making money is the most important thing… Money controls my life…”

I’ve heard these statements before, but now I’m grasping what they mean. I sit across the coffee table from my new friends and I see the weight of it in their brown eyes, I hear it in their indirect sentences, I read it in their wechat texts… An American-like materialism and need to have nice things, and a deeper responsibility and pressure to provide for the family. East meets West.

Each culture and generation has its worries. I’m discovering the weight of this one’s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flirting with Chinese Guys

Planning a Chinese/American Wedding

The Celebrity Effect: Being a White Foreigner in China

Relating with a Language Barrier?? [Ask a Cross-Cultural Couple]

Moving Home?? [Ask a Cross-Cultural Couple]

Adventures in Asia: China Travel Tips