K-Beauty Magic: My Top 10 Asian Skincare Products


In case you didn’t know, Korean skincare and beauty products are AMAZING. They’re generally affordable, and they work. Since moving to Asia, I’ve slowly stopped bringing over or importing my American go-tos and have discovered more and more Korean (and other Asian) products that I prefer way more! Here are my current Top 10.

(Note: I purchased all of these myself, except for one gift from my husband, and currently own and use all products pictured. None are sponsored.)

(Another Note: I've included links for those brands that have English websites [click on the brand name]. Many of these products can also be found on Amazon or other third-party sellers.)
  

TONYMOLY: I’m Real Sheet Masks (South Korea)

While I've enjoyed every mask I've tried from TonyMoly, I’m obsessed with these two in particular from the “I’m Real” line: Avocado for Nutrition and Rice for Clear Skin. As someone with an ongoing struggle with adult acne, this rice mask calms down my face unlike any other product or medication I’ve used. The avocado moisturizes without making me breakout (plus my non-acne friends also swear by it). Leave on your face for 20 to 30 minutes of bliss.


TONYMOLY: Dust Out Multi Foam Cleanser (South Korea)

I love using this face wash to remove makeup, pollution, dirt, etc. It leaves me feeling so clean!


WISHTREND: Green Tea & Enzyme Powder Wash (South Korea)

This might be the most expensive item on this list, but this face wash did wonders for my skin. It’s a powder that you add a little (very little!!) water to create a paste that gently exfoliates your face. And it really does smell like green tea! The bottle pictured is empty, as I’m trying to finish up some other face washes before buying more of this one, but I seriously miss this product.


ETUDE HOUSE: Precious Mineral BB Cream Matte (South Korea)

Goodbye, foundation! I will never use you again! Most Asian makeup lines/stores don’t carry foundation anyway, it’s all BB cream. Unlike some American BB creams I’ve tried, where you can’t tell you’ve put anything on your face, this one provides great coverage. I currently have a multiple bottle stock in the lightest shade (because I’m quite pasty). Many Asian cultures prefer the dewy (AKA shiny) look, so I get the matte version.


ETUDE HOUSE: Lip & Eye Remover (South Korea)

While the poor English translation might insinuate otherwise, I still have my lips and eyes. This makeup remover works really well at a fraction of the price I would pay for, say, Sephora.
  

TROPICANA: Virgin Coconut Oil (Thailand)

I’ve both imported this one from and bought it in person in Thailand. Coconut oil has a lot of wonderful uses, but I primarily use it as an after-shaving moisturizer (calms razor burn for real) and eye makeup remover. During the winter months, I run the bottle under warm water to soften the oil into a dispensable liquid.


MINISO: Hello Kitty Double-head Eyeliner (China)

Don’t be fooled by the Hello Kitty reference or the fact that this is the cheapest item on the list -- This black, liquid liner is the best! The pens are precise and easy to use, and it doesn’t move all day. This is the most affordable liquid liner I’ve found that can compete with the humidity of south-China summers.


HEROINE MAKE: Long & Curl Mascara (Japan)

This one was given to me as a gift, and is the most waterproof mascara I’ve ever used! I can nap, cry, sweat, leave it on for the next day if I want. Doesn’t smudge, doesn’t move. Makes it look like I actually have eyelashes and not blondish wisps. The only challenge is taking it off.


THE SAEM: Jeju Fresh Aloe Soothing Gel (South Korea)

Back home, I only used aloe vera when sunburnt, but now I use it almost weekly as a moisturizer because aloe is dang good for your skin, it’s gentle, and it helps my acne rather than enraging it. I like this brand because it has the highest percentage of actual aloe in it (99%) that I’ve found so far, and the product itself is clear, not green, meaning it doesn’t contain unnecessary dyes. Plus, it’s from Jeju Island – who doesn’t love Jeju?


INNISFREE: Eco Safety UV Perfect Waterproof Sunblock with Sunflower Oil and Green Tea SPF 50+ (South Korea)

Innisfree is another popular Korean skincare brand, but I haven’t settled on many favorites from them. While this one is a bit of a splurge considering it’s sunblock, and not a huge bottle, it works very well in keeping my white face white and not lobster, and even does decently under makeup. If you know Asian cultures, you know they usually prefer lighter skin and shun the sun – They know what’s up with sunblock.

Have you tried any of these? What Asian skincare and beauty products are your favorites?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flirting with Chinese Guys

Planning a Chinese/American Wedding

The Celebrity Effect: Being a White Foreigner in China

Relating with a Language Barrier?? [Ask a Cross-Cultural Couple]

Moving Home?? [Ask a Cross-Cultural Couple]

Adventures in Asia: China Travel Tips